The RIA examined the university’s activity in 2013–2018, weighting the years 2015–2018 after the introduction of LUT's Trailblazer strategy. The Trailblazer strategy 2015–2018 focused on:
- clean energy solutions
- circular economy solutions, especially clean water and waste streams
- scientific solutions for sustainable business and entrepreneurship.
The RIA report indicates that LUT's research platforms have been able to network and collaborate successfully with national and international institutes and research groups. The platforms have also harnessed in-house expertise from LUT's schools.
Evaluation by an international expert panel
The RIA was conducted by an independent, international panel of high-level experts. The panel members were specialists in LUT’s fields of research.
The peer evaluation was based on self-assessment reports by LUT’s schools, which dealt with impact, bibliometric data and other quality indicators. In addition, the assessment panel interviewed different employee groups during their visit to Lappeenranta.
RIA panel members 2019:
- Brian Norton, Professor, Principal, Technological University Dublin, Ireland, Chair
- Fioralba Cakoni, Professor of Mathematics, Rutgers University, USA
- Mats Engwall, Professor of Industrial Management, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Elzbieta Frackowiak, Professor of Chemical Engineering, Poznań University of Technology, Poland
- Andres Kecskemethy, Professor of Mechanics and Robotics, University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany
- Patricia Lago, Professor of Software and Services, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Tage Koed Madsen, Professor of Marketing, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
- Øystein Moen, Professor of Industrial Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
- Piero Salatino, Professor of Chemical Engineering, Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Italy
- Lennart Söder, Professor of Electric Power Systems, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden