The prize may be awarded to a person or organisation who has succeeded in increasing the value added of forests or in establishing the conditions or creating opportunities for doing so. In addition to the traditional forestry sector, the award may be used also to give recognition to other ways that forest-related value added has been highlighted.
Candidates for 2021
The second Metsä360 award was presented by LUT University and the Marjatta and Eino Kolli Foundation in November 2021.
Candidates for 2020
The first ever winner of the award was announced at an online event on November 24, 2020.
Criteria for the award
The recipient for the award is chosen from among the invited participants and their solutions, innovations or acts. An expert group consisting of representatives of LUT, the Marjatta and Eino Kolli Foundation and 2022 LAB University of Applied Sciences identifies candidates that have had a significant impact on the enhancement of value added from forests and invites the most promising finalists.
The final selection is made by a jury of external experts, who are separately nominated each year.
The following criteria are emphasized in the search for prize candidates:
- increasing value added
- more value per tonne, potential utilisation of side streams
- opening up new perspectives / innovativeness
- value being found where it has not been seen before
- opportunities to move from ideas to practical implementation, rapid applicability
- the scope of its potential at the social and international level
- the diversity of possible applications and the total volume
- the compatibility of the economic and ecological perspectives
In order to accelerate discussion on the potential of forests, we will publish introductory videos for all finalists during summer 2022. The winner will be awarded the EUR 30,000 prize in November 2022.
Also connected with the discussion around the value added from forest is the documentary Arvokas Metsämme (Our Precious Forests), which was commissioned by the Marjatta and the Eino Kolli Foundation.