REFLEX – Recycling carbon in a flexible competitive energy system
- Future decarbonised energy system
- Binding and recycling atmospheric carbon by using it both as an energy carrier and a valuable raw material
- Flexibility through different energy storage and demand response technologies
- Research focuses on the key technologies of the future and their business potential
- Boosting the competitiveness of the Finnish and European energy industries
Our main vision is to have a future energy system that is able to bind and recycle the atmospheric carbon that it releases, and where the operational flexibility of the system is delivered by different energy storage and demand response technologies. The resulting decarbonised energy system will not be carbon-free, but it will recycle atmospheric carbon by using it both as an energy carrier and as a valuable raw material.
The LUT research platform dealing with a decarbonised flexible energy system and business is an essential tool in the development of solutions and expertise required for making our future vision come true. REFLEX will research the energy transformation timeline, technological main components, sub-systems, and related business possibilities of the future decarbonised electricity-driven energy system. The research outcomes will boost the competitiveness of the Finnish and European energy industries.
At LUT, the platform brings together researchers from all LUT Schools with expertise supporting the creation of competence and solutions for the future energy system. A well-operating REFLEX platform provides an opportunity to build world-class technological expertise at LUT and make us one of the world's top universities in the related field. The platform structure will also link ongoing projects and their researchers, who want to ensure a clean environment for future generations.