Open Access publishing
Open access (OA) means free online access to research articles. Parallel publishing (or self-archiving) is one form of open access publishing. Parallel publishing means that researchers publish their work also in an open digital repository of their own university (LUTPub). Articles published in printed scientific journals can usually be published also in open digital repositories. One form of open access publishing is to publish in an open access journal which charges processing fees.
Several research funders have started to demand open access publishing. For example all projects receiving Horizon 2020 funding have to publish all their peer reviewed journal articles open access. Finnish Academy is recommending that all research work done with public funding should be published in open access repositories like LUTPub.
Publisher's permission is required for parallel publishing. Usually publishers allow parallel publishing. Researcher can check publisher's policy easily from Sherpa/RoMEO –service. Also publishers' webpages can contain information about their policies.
Open access publishing in LUT:
- Researchers will publish their articles in that scientific forum which is best for the university and for the researcher´s own career.
- University is recommending that all research articles should also be published in LUTPub Repository from the beginning of 2015.
- If it is essential to publish an article in an Open Access journal which has article processing charges these fees should be included in the research budget. LibGuide of APC's.
- Research publications should be available open access as soon as possible. According to European Commission research articles should be openly available latest 6 months from publishing (or 12 months in humanistic and social sciences).
- Bachelor theses, Master theses, Pro gradu theses and dissertations are already published in LUTPub Repository. Academic library guides researchers in open access publishing and arranges training.
- Open Science is included in the syllabus of LUT Doctoral School.
- Parallel publishing of research publications (LUT Intranet, requires login)
- Saving publications to LUTPub repository by yourself (LUT's publication series and parallel publishing of articles)
- Saving theses to LUTPub repository
- Rector's decision on Open Access Publication
- LibGuide of Open Science
- LibGuide of Copyrights
- LibGuide of Article Processing Charges
- LUTPub University Repository, Location of theses, dissertations, self-archived scientific articles and other publications
- Sherpa-Romeo Publisher copyright policies and self-archiving
- The Academy of Finland promotes open access to research
- DOAJ, Directory of Open Access Journals
- Open Access Publishing poster