The submission deadline for the Initial Proposals/Extended Abstracts of maximum 800 words (excl. references) is the 14th of May 2024.
Completed Papers, manuscripts, working papers, or a detailed synopsis of your research (6000 to 8000 words) may be submitted electronically online as a Word attachment. The deadline is the 17th of June 2024.
The submission deadline for the IE-Scholars’ doctorial colloquium in the format of a synopsis of your doctoral research (up to 8000 words) is also the 17th of June 2024.
Conference Dates: August 15th - 17, 2024, Lappeenranta, Finland
The submission system will be open soon.
CALL FOR PAPERS
The conference’s main theme is “International entrepreneurship in a world driven by megatrends of digitalization and sustainability”. Early internationalizing firms, whether born globals or international new ventures, have been a research topic for several decades. Over the years, the extant research has covered several antecedents and factors, such as global mindset, previous experience, and unique resources and capabilities, which have led to the early internationalization of small companies. Technology and innovation in transportation and communication technologies have naturally been enabling factors for this increase in international involvement. While acknowledging this, we believe that several trends will shape the future of international entrepreneurs. New technological advancements, e.g., digitalization in different forms such as AI, blockchain, renewable energy transitions, and sustainability megatrends, can offer early internationalizing firms and international small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) new opportunities and ways to operate internationally and organize their operations in entrepreneurial ecosystems.
We invite papers covering all types of factors which can be linked to international entrepreneurship, but would especially invite papers that can be linked to the megatrends identified above currently shaping international entrepreneurship. Specifically as it relates to digitalization and sustainability. Further, we would be keen to receive papers with topics related (but not limited) to:
- born digitals, and digitalization-enabled internationalization,
- entry modes and channel strategies of digitalized early internationalizing firms,
- market selection and segmentation strategies of digitalized firms,
- institutions shaping digital internationalization and international entrepreneurship,
- location strategies of digital entrepreneurs,
- entrepreneurial ecosystems and international entrepreneurship,
- sustainable international entrepreneurship,
- social and environmental responsibility in international SMEs,
- development and evolution of sustainable global value chains and how small internationalizing firms can thrive in this new operating environment,
- international entrepreneurship in the context of the energy industry, and/or the energy minerals industry, and renewable energy industry,
- sustainable consumption as a driver for international opportunities and international entrepreneurship,
- international entrepreneurship, agility, resilience, and performance,
- decision-making in early internationalization, micro-foundations in international entrepreneurship,
- corporate governance in early internationalizing firms,
- how early internationalizing firms evolve and become multinational companies,
- factors affecting global scaling and its success in the context of international entrepreneurship,
- AI created opportunities for international entrepreneurs,
- Industry 4.0 and beyond and international entrepreneurship,
- best practices in teaching international entrepreneurship,
- any other International Entrepreneurship (IE) related topics.
For some of the topics mentioned above, we will cooperate with selected journals, aiming for special issues. We aim to run special sessions in entrepreneurial ecosystems, sustainability, entry modes and market selection of digitalized early internationalizing firms. Committed journals thus far are Critical Perspectives on International Business, Journal of International Entrepreneurship andInternational Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business.