Machines have enabled many imposing and magnificent ideas and have facilitated a multitude of challenging functions. Machine science and its traditional findings form the basis for other engineering sciences.
Machine science is characterised by a strong desire to think differently and effect change in the world.
The Master's Programme in Mechanical Engineering offers several unique multi-disciplinary specialisation packages, such as digital engineering, industrial design, hybrid materials and additive manufacturing, which support traditional mechanical engineering. You will be studying in well-equipped facilities, and many of your classes will take place inhigh-tech labs that enable computer modelling, 3D imaging, and virtual reality for conducting experiments.
The programme provides you with great opportunities to build your own personal study plan by freely selecting two of eight available specialisation packages and some elective courses.
You will build your own study plan from the following specialisations:
- digital engineering
- robotics and mechatronics
- laser processing and additive manufacturing
- welding production and metallurgy
- steel structures
- composites and hybrid materials
- industrial design engineering
- sustainable manufacturing processes.
This programme gives you unique knowledge, skills and competences in mechanical engineering and leadership and management skills required in industrial positions.
As a graduate of this programme, you will understand the applications of mechanical engineering in different specialisation areas and know how to combine them to form multidisciplinary knowledge, skills and competences.
You will acquire:
- competence to think through industrial research and development problems logically and solve them to contribute to critical and innovative thinking in different areas of mechanical engineering;
- professional skills that enable you to understand the needs and special features in mechanical engineering design, IoT, automatised and robotised production and manufacture of products, material selection and modelling and reliability-based design, and business-oriented project work; you will learn to utilise fully digitised design, simulation and production environments for different areas of mechanical engineering including sustainability aspects;
- multidisciplinary teamwork skills that enable you to participate and interact in task-orientated engineering groups in a productive manner and lead and manage design projects.
Degree structure and studies
The Master's Programme in Mechanical Engineering is a two-year programme. It leads to the degree of Master of Science in Technology, M.Sc. (Tech.), which is 120 ECTS credits.
The programme includes core, advanced specialisation and elective studies as well as a Master's thesis. Read more in the study guide.
The programme offers graduates excellent career prospects in a broad field of mechanical engineering-related industries and provides an excellent foundation for those wishing to undertake doctoral studies.
The programme aims to give to students both strong professional know-how in mechanical engineering and good leadership and management skills for industrial positions.
Graduates typically build careers as e.g.
- design managers
- production managers
- experts in a specific area of mechanical engineering
- researchers or scientists
- project managers.