The programme’s next regular admission period for studies that start in autumn 2024 will begin in December 2023.
Software product management defines how the life cycle of a digital product is managed, planned and governed. Continuous business changes imposed by new technology and the digitalisation of businesses and the society form the environment for modern software development.
The programme focuses on the design, implementation and maintenance of software and digital services in their business context. It combines business with software engineering in modern software platforms and ecosystems.
To start the studies directly with a pre-existing Bachelor's degree, at least 24 ECTS credits in software engineering or related subjects (computer science, information sciences or information technology) are required, but the Bachelor's degree may be from a different field.
The programme is well suited for people already in the working world because it mainly utilises blended and hybrid teaching. Contact teaching is arranged on the Lahti campus on average once a month on Fridays from 9.00 to 17.00. All other teaching is conducted as online lectures, recordings, etc.
In this programme, you will develop professional skills to understand complex software-intensive business environments and long-term management aspects of software engineering.
As a graduate of the Master's Programme in Software Product Management and Business, you will possess:
- skills in analysing, developing and managing new software-based digital products in the software industry; you will learn to manage and analyse business platforms related to the digital product portfolio of organisations;
- knowledge of the management of enterprise-level systems and the software landscape and its connections to external platforms and ecosystems;
- competences to recognise human, security, social, and entrepreneur issues and responsibilities relevant to engineering software and the digitalisation of services.
- multi-cultural teamwork skills to communicate logically, convincingly, and effectively both orally and in writing; you will also acquire skills to function effectively in teams and adapt teaming strategies to improve productivity;
- a professional network through collaboration with your peers and meeting with local companies.
Degree structure and studies
The Master's Programme in Software Product Management and Business is a two-year programme. It leads to the degree of Master of Science in Technology, M.Sc. (Tech.), which is 120 ECTS credits.
The programme is arranged at LUT's Lahti campus, and it combines lectured courses with online learning assignments. The programme includes core, advanced specialisation, minor and elective studies as well as a Master's thesis. Read more in the study guide.
After graduation, you will have good competencies to work as an expert in the software industry in development, management and business development.
Typical job titles include:
- senior software developer
- software product manager
- product owner
- business development director.