The programme focuses on competencies and skills in the holistic, service-minded development of systems and software. It combines service design methodologies with modern technologies, such as artificial intelligence, cloud computing, and distributed systems, to develop digital services.
The programme takes a holistic approach to software development, incorporating modern methods, such as no-code, to leverage software and infrastructures, data-driven systems, and connected technology to ensure long-term and human-driven business success through digital services.
The lectures and courses use novel and interactive teaching and learning methods such as a flipped classroom and gamification. Furthermore, the programme emphasises the practical and holistic development of digital systems and services in addition to teaching relevant theoretical concepts.
The programme is flexible and combines elements of blended, distance, and hybrid teaching but is essentially designed as a full-time programme with in-person events on the Lahti campus.
The programme takes an integral approach to software engineering, incorporating modern approaches, such as no-code, to leverage software and infrastructures, data-driven systems, and connected technology to ensure long-term and human-driven business success through digital services.
In this programme, you will become an expert in the development of human-centred digital services that incorporate state-of-the-art digital technologies.
You will acquire:
- skills to design, develop and evaluate data-driven and connected software-intensive smart services. You will learn to analyse, develop and manage new software-based digital services in the industry;
- competence to analyse a problem and identify and elicit human-centred needs and values for digital services;
- skills to design, evaluate and adapt software processes and software development tools to meet the needs of human-driven digital services;
- an international professional network by integrating into a multi-cultural working environment with a practical orientation and collaboration with companies.
Degree structure and studies
The Master's Programme in Digital Systems and Service Development is a two-year programme. It leads to the degree of Master of Science in Technology, M.Sc. (Tech.), which is 120 ECTS credits.
The programme includes core, advanced specialisation and elective studies as well as a Master's thesis.
Understanding different dimensions of software engineering is necessary for any professional today.
There are many reasons why software engineering is so popular, such as good job security, high starting salaries, and diverse job opportunities across industries.
Graduates of this programme are well-equipped with competencies and skills to work as:
- digital service engineers
- cloud service engineers
- smart service developers
- service designers
- project managers
- software engineers
- software systems architects
- team leaders
Subscribe to our newsletter
The LUT newsletter is your guide to what's happening on campus and in the student community, delivered directly to your email each month.
Be curious – be one of us.