LUT University has triumphed yet again in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings by subject. In the 2024 subject rankings, LUT was compared internationally in four fields:
- business and economics (126–150th)
- physical sciences (176–200th)
- engineering (251–300th)
- computer science (301–400th)
In this year’s list, especially the field of computer science made a marked improvement leaping from 501–600th to 301–400th. Also, the field of physical sciences climbed the ranking from 201–250th position to 176–200th. The physical sciences subject covers education and research in physics, chemistry and mathematics.
In the rankings, LUT is Finland’s second best in physical sciences. LUT's strengths included international outlook and research quality. According to LUT’s vice rector Jari Hämäläinen, the success of these fields is based on long-term hard work and right choices.
”The numbers of publications, citations and degrees have all had an impact to the ranking results,” says Hämäläinen, vice rector for research and innovations.
The world's second best business school in research quality
LUT Business School held its high position in the THE rankings in the field of business and economics. LUT Business School ranked outstandingly 126–150th out of 909 business schools. Additionally, LUT Business School is the world's second best business school in research quality: in this year’s list, LBS got an extremely high score of 97.9, 100 being the maximum score. LUT Business School is also Finland's second best business school overall.
"It's exciting to see that our research at LUT Business School is not only making an impact but also being frequently cited by scholars around the world. This success in research quality is a clear sign that our hard work is paying off, and it shows we're truly contributing to the global discussion in our field," says Sami Saarenketo, dean of LUT Business School.
LUT also maintained its position in engineering. According to the ranking, LUT is among the world's top 300 universities in the field. In the field of engineering, LUT’s strength is also research quality.
”It’s an amazing achievement to be able to maintain a position in THE subject rankings, while the number of universities included increases and the level rises. LUT does extremely high-level work.”
Success in THE rankings builds international reputation
The past four years have been favourable for LUT in rankings even though the number of universities listed has grown continuously. According to Hämäläinen, international comparisons strengthen LUT's brand and standing among international higher education institutions.
As much as a third of a university's ranking score is determined by the international science community’s responses to academic reputation surveys. Success in rankings increases visibility, which LUT needs to continue improving its results in reputation surveys.
“We do many things considerably better than higher-profile universities. Obviously, a small Finnish university needs to work hard to secure votes from international universities,” Hämäläinen points out.
LUT strong in Times Higher Education rankings
- Times Higher Education (THE), an organisation based in the UK, publishes annual performance-based rankings of world universities. The World University Rankings are THE's best-known and one of the world’s most highly regarded university rankings. The latest ranking list was published on 27 September 2023, and it placed LUT University in the global top 300.
- Soon after the general ranking, THE releases its World University Rankings by subject. The most recent subject-specific rankings were published on 26 October 2023.
- In the THE 2024 subject ranking for business and economics, LUT Business School reached the world's top 150. Its ranking position was 126–150th.
- In the THE 2024 subject ranking for physical sciences, LUT University reached the world's top 200. LUT's ranking position was 176–200th.
- In the THE 2024 subject ranking for engineering, LUT University reached the world's top 300. LUT's ranking position was 251–300th.
- In the THE 2024 subject ranking for computer science, LUT University reached the world's top 400. LUT's ranking position was 301–400th.