LUT University has triumphed yet again in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings by subject. In the 2023 subject rankings, LUT was compared internationally in four fields:
- business and economics (126–150th)
- physical sciences (201–250th)
- engineering (251–300th)
- computer science (501–600th)
Jari Hämäläinen, LUT’s vice rector for research, says the past three years have been favourable for LUT in rankings even though the number of universities listed has grown continuously.
“There are roughly 30 000 universities in the world, and it's quite an achievement to be in the top one per cent. We can proudly stand by our actions,” Hämäläinen states.
According to Jari Hämäläinen, international comparisons strengthen LUT's brand and standing among international higher education institutions. As much as a third of a university's ranking score is determined by the international science community’s responses to academic reputation surveys. Success in rankings increases visibility, which LUT needs to continue improving its results in reputation surveys.
“LUT does extremely high-level work. We do many things considerably better than higher-profile universities. Obviously, a small Finnish university needs to work hard to secure votes from international universities,” Hämäläinen points out.
Second best business school in Finland
The LUT School of Business keeps climbing the THE rankings in the field of business and economics. In this year’s listing, it is Finland's second best business school overall, and Finland's best in terms of citations. In practice, this means that research papers around the world cite research conducted in Lappeenranta and Lahti more and more frequently.
The LUT School of Business and Management improved its position from last year and ranked 126–150th out of 870 business schools.
Finland’s second best in engineering
Each year, LUT has achieved excellent results in the physical sciences subject ranking, which covers education and research in physics, chemistry and mathematics. LUT's scores were Finland’s second highest right after the University of Helsinki. LUT's strengths included international outlook and citations, in which it ranked highest in Finland.
LUT also improved its position in engineering. According to the ranking, LUT offers Finland's second best teaching in engineering and is among the world's top 300 universities in this area. In computer science, LUT's overall placing (500-600th) remained the same as last year.
LUT strong in Times Higher Education rankings
- Times Higher Education (THE), an organisation based in the UK, publishes annual performance-based rankings of world universities. The World University Rankings are THE's best-known and one of the world’s most highly regarded university rankings. The latest ranking list was published on 12 October 2022, and it placed LUT University in the global top 350.
- Soon after the general ranking, THE releases its World University Rankings by subject. The most recent subject-specific rankings were published on 25 October 2022.
- In the THE 2023 subject ranking for business and economics, the LUT School of Business and Management reached the world's top 150. Its ranking position was 126–150th.
- In the THE 2023 subject ranking for physical sciences, LUT University reached the world's top 250. LUT's ranking position was 201–250th.
- In the THE 2023 subject ranking for engineering, LUT University reached the world's top 300. LUT's ranking position was 251–300th.
- In the THE 2023 subject ranking for computer science, LUT University reached the world's top 600. LUT's ranking position was 501–600th.