Research group of Production Engineering and Sheet Metal Work Technology
LUT's research group of Production Engineering and Sheet Metal Work Technology is a unit focusing on research concerning manufacturing technology.
The research groups's central research framework involves renewable green energy applications that increasingly focus on electric vehicles and environmental sustainability in development technology.
Successful implementation of the machines, accessories and processes related to the areas of research and improving their quality, features and manufacturability require that cost-efficient and modern manufacturing technologies and methods be considered right from the design stage (DFMA – Design for Manufacturing and Assembling).
The research group adds value to the research by acting as a manufacturing expert together with other research groups.
Examples of the Research Topics of the Laboratory of Production Engineering and Sheet Metal Work Technology
- developing the manufacturability of electric engines and generators
- developing future technologies for power electronics and manufacturing-friendly product structures
- designing and manufacturing product processing equipment and tools manufactured from fibre and recycled materials
- developing more efficient and economical processing techniques
- developing manufacturing and product design as a whole, for example by digital means
The research group collaborates closely with local society and works together with the industry and other universities and research units on its research projects.
Equipment for machining processes and manufacturing prototype equipment
The versatile hardware at the Laboratory of Production Engineering and Sheet Metal Work Technology allows for experimental research on machining processes and the manufacturing of demanding prototype hardware and parts.
Examples of the Hardware at the Laboratory of Production Engineering and Sheet Metal Work Technology
- NC machine centres
- NC lathe
- FM system for machining and welding
- Laser Punch Press
LUT Mechanical Engineering
Professor Juha Varis
tel. +358 40 501 7478