On this page
LUT University (Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology LUT) is a public science university in Finland, bringing together the fields of science and business since 1969 and starting from autumn 2024 also social sciences.
Clean energy, water and air are life-giving resources for which we at LUT University seek new solutions with our expertise in technology and business. We help society and businesses in their sustainable renewal. We promote sustainable development, and we are responsible in all our operations. Our strategic choices, scientific research, academic education and social interaction are all guided by the principles of ecological, economic and social sustainability.
One of the world's top universities
We continuously strive to improve the quality, impact and visibility of our research as well as the amount of competitive funding awarded to us. According to international rankings, LUT is one of the world's top universities. LUT has been listed among the world's top 388 universities in two of the most highly regarded rankings globally, Times Higher Education (THE) 251–300 and QS 388.
At LUT, you will study in internationally accredited degree programmes, where you will learn knowledge based on the latest academic research. Our degree programmes are developed in close collaboration with industry ensuring your studies are relevant to the changing needs of your profession.
You can choose from eight bachelor's and 27 master's programmes in the fields of technology, business and social sciences. We offer programmes in the fields of business administration, chemical engineering, computational engineering, electrical engineering, energy technology, environmental technology, industrial engineering and management, mechanical engineering, software engineering, social and communication sciences.
You can apply to bachelor's and master's programmes through either early, rolling or regular admission by submitting an electronic application along with the required documents in Studyinfo. For both admissions, studies start at the end of August 2024.
After completing a master's degree at LUT University, you will have a firm basis for scientific doctoral studies at the LUT Doctoral School.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Admissions guide 2023
Rolling admission to all Bachelor's and most Master's programmes (excluding Master's Programmes in Biorefineries and Circular Economy) in English is open now. Apply to the programmes by submitting an electronic application along with the required documents in Studyinfo.
You can apply to programmes through either rolling or regular admission. Application periods are:
- Bachelor's programmes: rolling admission 1 November 2022–15 May 2023, regular admission 4–18 January 2023.
- Master's programmes: rolling admission 1 November 2022–15 May 2023, regular admission 1 December 2022–18 January 2023.
For both admissions, studies start at the end of August 2022.
Tuition fees, early bird discounts and scholarships
Tuition fees for students outside EU/EEA countries in Bachelor's programmes in English are the following:
- Double degree Bachelor's programmesEUR 9 000/academic year
- Regular Bachelor's programmes (Technology and Engineering Science; Industrial Engineering and Management) EUR 9 500 /academic year
Early bird discountfor the first year and scholarships are available in the Bachelor's Programmes inTechnology and Engineering Science and Industrial Engineering and Management. In the double degree programmes, scholarships are available for all three years. Read more information.
Tuition fee for students outside EU/EEA countries in all Master's programmes in English is EUR 13 500/academic year.
Early bird discount for the first year and scholarship for the second year isavailable in all Master's programmes. Additionally, one Finland Scholarship/Master's programme is offered. Read more information.
Finland as a study destination
Finland is a booming country that is consistently ranked among the top ten in the world in terms of the standard of living, economic stability, and education.
Finland is a country of innovation and technology and has continuously topped related global indices. Finnish companies highly value innovation designed to solve problems in a pragmatic and surprising way.
Finland is a small country on the global scale. Finland's population, 5 million, makes up barely 0.07 per cent of the world's population and its land area as much of the world's total area. However, even a small country can leap to the top of the world, and this is what Finland has done: in international comparisons, Finland is often among the top nations. Finland is:
- the happiest country.
- the top country in education according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- the most advanced country in the EU in utilisation of digitalization.
- the second largest in the EU in the share of renewable energy in the country's total energy consumption.
- the fourth most gender equal country.
- the third most innovative country.
How much does it cost to live in Finland?
Finland is known for its high standard of living, which means the local price level is not the lowest in the world. However, the cost of living in Finland is about the same as in other EU countries. Expenses vary depending on the accommodation you choose and your personal spending habits.
In Lappeenranta and Lahti, living expenses including accommodation in a student apartment may amount to roughly EUR 700/month.
As a degree student in Finland, you will be issued a student card that entitles you to student discounts on meals and other services (e.g. transport, museums, cultural events and recreational activities).
Why choose LUT University?
- Over 92% of our international students are satisfied with their student experience.
- Our modern campuses in Lappeenranta and Lahti are close to nature.
- We are listed among the world's top 388 universities in the most highly regarded global rankings, Times Higher Education (THE) and QS.
- We are one of the world's top 9 universities for climate action.
- We offer high-quality education through internationally accredited programmes.
- Our international community of over 90 nationalities welcomes you.
- The campuses offer a compact combination of all of the services students need.
Our green and modern campuses are located in the cities of Lappeenranta and Lahti, Finland, They offer a compact combination of all of the services students need. In both cities, most student apartments are located within walking distance from the university, and there are plenty of excellent sports and recreation venues.
Our international community consists of total 6 500 members of more than 90 different nationalities.