Intended learning outcomes
Graduates will have acquired comprehensive knowledge of production processes and the designing of products. The products may vary from simple stationary ones to something as sophisticated as a car.
As an industrial design engineer, you need to cooperate with experts from other fields and provide solutions. This programme prepares you to shape the future. You will learn to see problems from multiple perspectives and respond optimally with innovative solutions.
You will learn about innovative design, manufacturing methods, human factors, creative problem solving, advanced materials, industrial and business challenges, and environmental considerations.
The programme will prepare you for multidisciplinary project work with other engineers, marketers, procurers, and project managers. You will carry out theoretical and methodological studies integrated into projects with regional companies.
By graduation, you will see problems from multiple perspectives and find innovative solutions to production processes, consumer products, interactions and processes. You will learn about practical issues in design and production processes in applied projects in close collaboration with Finnish companies.
You will be able to develop and design new products and services effectively on the global industrial scale. During your studies, you will gain skills in concept visualisation, product development, and technological and commercial perspectives. You will acquire in-depth knowledge of modelling and visualisation in 3D CAD systems.
- learn practical communication, collaboration and presentation skills in an actual project;
- be able to identify and solve problems in designing a product or service based on studies on consumers, producers and products;
- be able to identify and apply your experiences to creating a successful product or service;
- be able to plan, lead and organise a research project according to established scientific practices, and write and present a scientific research plan and research report;
- have understand how products are manufactured with various methods and solve real-life problems related to high performance products;
- recognise and compare different production methods using diverse materials, including sheet metal, composites and wood, and understand how related 3D design software, assemblies and 3D software simulation work;
- understand the role of ergonomic design in human performance in everyday work and life;
- understand the meaning of material selection and design for manufacture and sustainability;
- learn theories, methods, design and manufacturing skills, and which tools to apply to different problems and product development scenarios;
- understand the importance of package design, consumer behaviour, development trends and value addition through new techniques;
- be able to define problems and connect with other research groups and Finnish industry;
- be able to apply and develop systematic and analytical means and tools to solve cross-technological material selection tasks;
- be able to define and analyse the properties, strengths, weaknesses and application areas of the main groups of construction materials for different types of applications;
- be able to evaluate and utilise recent results and documents of material science and derive analytical models based on the principles of LCC, LCA and MIPS factors in material selection;
- be familiar with different technologies of additive manufacturing and be able to select suitable processes for different applications and product design for additive manufacturing;
- be familiar with the possibilities of additive manufacturing in product development, prototyping and part manufacture;
- gain comprehensive knowledge of manufacturing as an essential part of the production process.
Industrial Design Engineering
Master of Science in Technology
120 ECTS credits
Tuition fees and scholarships
EUR 10 000 Non-EU/EEA students
LUT School of Energy Systems
Next regular admission
December 2020 − January 2021
1 October 2019 − 31 May 2020
Contact information (programme content)
Post-doctoral researcher Amir Toghyani
tel. +358 50 379 6959
Contact information (application process)
tel. +358 40 738 1312