Intended learning outcomes
After completing this Master's programme, will have acquired comprehensive knowledge related to production processes and designing products. The variety of such products could be from simple stationary product to a car as a sophisticated product.
As an industrial design engineer, you need to be able to cooperate with other discipline experts and provide the solution. This programme prepares you for having dynamic and strategically strong attitude to shape the future. For doing that you need to learn to see problems from multiple perspectives and to respond optimally through innovative solutions.
In this path, you will learn knowledge related to innovative design skills, manufacturing methods, human factors, and creative problem solving skills, advanced materials, industrial and business challenges and environmental consideration needed.
During this programme you will be prepared to take part actively in a multidisciplinary project work with other engineers, marketers, procurers, and project managers. You will acquire theoretical and methodological studies integrated in projects in cooperation with active companies in the region.
After completing this Master's Programme you will have a proper skills in seeing the problems from multiple perspectives and find innovative solutions in relation to production processes, consumers products, interactions and processes. You will learn practical issues in design and production process in close collaboration with Finnish companies in applied projects.
You will be able to develop effectively and design new products and services in the global industrial scale. During your studies, you will gain related skills in concept visualisation, product development, technological and commercial perspectives. Finishing the master´s degree studies will give you deepened knowledge in modelling and visualisation in 3D CAD systems.
- learn practical skills in communication, collaboration and presentation in an actual project,
- be able to identify and solve the problems through design a product or service based on the related studies on consumers, producers and products,
- be able to identify and apply experiences on how industrial design considering the technological and economic situation lead to create a successful product or a service,
- be able to plan, lead and organise the research project according to the established scientific practices, procedures, write and present a scientific research plan and research report,
- have a good understanding about product range manufactured with various methods can solve real-life problems related to high performance products,
- be able to recognise and compare different production methods using diverse set of materials including sheet metal, composites and wood and be able to understand related 3D design software and assemblies, and 3D software simulation,
- be able to understand the role of ergonomic design on human performance and conditions in everyday work and life,
- be able to understand the meaning of material selection and design for manufacturing of products and sustainability viewpoints,
- learn wide range of theories, methods, design and manufacturing skills and related tools to apply in different set of problem solving and product development scenarios,
- understand influence and importance of the package design, consumer behavior, development trends and value addition through utilising new techniques,
- be able to individually formulating the problems criteria and setting connections with other research groups and Finnish industry,
- be able to apply and develop systematic and analytical means and tools of systematic material selection approaches into solving cross-technological material selection tasks,
- be able to define and analyse the properties, strengths, weaknesses and application areas of the main groups of constructional materials for different types of applications. Students also will be able to evaluate and utilise recent results and documents of material science and derive analytical models based on the principles of LCC's, LCA's and MIPS-factors in material selection,
- be familiarised with different technologies of additive manufacturing and be able to select suitable processes for different applications as well as product design for additive manufacturing. You will also be familiar with the possibilities of additive manufacturing in product development, prototyping and part manufacturing,
- gain a comprehensive knowledge of manufacturing as an essential part of the production process.
Industrial Design Engineering (Lahti campus)
Master of Science in Technology
120 ECTS credits
Tuition Fees and Scholarships
EUR 10 000 Non-EU/EEA students
LUT School of Energy Systems
December 2019−January 2020
1 October 2019−31 May 2020
Contact information (programme content)
Post-doctoral researcher Amir Toghyani
tel. +358 50 379 6959
Contact information (application process)
tel. +358 40 738 1312