Compulsory health insurance for degree students

Citizens of EU/EEA Countries and Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland

All foreign students must have adequate health/travel insurance while they are studying at LUT. Citizens of EU/EEA countries and the countries mentioned above only need to obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the social security authorities in their home country or buy a private insurance. Holders of EHIC cards are entitled to the same benefits provided by the Social Insurance Institution of Finland. 

Citizens of other countries

Any student who submits a residence permit application must attach details of their comprehensive health insurance cover to their application. Comprehensive insurance is insurance that covers the types of treatment and costs that are covered by municipal health care services and the public health insurance system.

To obtain a residence permit, students must have valid health insurance cover provided by a reliable and solvent company or institution.

  • Students, whose studies are less than two years in duration must have private insurance which covers the costs of medical treatment up to a value of EUR 100,000 (cost level in 2019).
  • Where the duration of the studies is two years or more, a student will usually be registered with a local authority in Finland and therefore be entitled to local health care services. In such cases, it is sufficient for the insurance to cover the cost of medicines (in practice the cover extends to doctor's fees and costs of treatment and examination), up to EUR 30,000 (cost level in 2019).

Students must have insurance cover when they apply for a residence permit, otherwise their request for a resident permit will be rejected. Residence permits cannot be issued for periods exceeding the period of the insurance cover.

Health insurance for exchange students

The information conserning the health insurance for exchange students is described under the section Exchange Studies - Preparations For Your Arrival.