Residence permit for exchange students

For more information conserning the residence permits for exchange students, please see Exchange Studies - Preparations For Your Arrival.

Residence permit for degree students

International degree student must generally have a valid passport and, in the case of the majority of non-European citizens, a residence permit in order to enter Finland. The application process and the issuing for a residence permit take several months and we therefore, strongly advise you to start your application process as soon as you know that you will accept the study place offered.

Where do I apply for a residence permit?

  • Start by first checking the web page Finnish Immigration Service (MIGRI) - Residence Permit Application for further information and details on applying for a residence permit.
  • We suggest you to submit your application electronically - you will find the e-application for at the end of the web page MIGRI - Residence Permit Application. Applying electronically is the fastest way to get the decision to your application.
    • You can also submit your application to a Finnish Embassy in your home country or in a country in which you are legally residing - you will find the application form at the end of the web page MIGRI - Residence Permit Application as well.
  • Due to biometrics, fingerprints are collected from all applicants. All students are required to visit a Finnish Embassy in person to give their fingerprints without any exceptions made. Your application will not be processed before you have given biometric details at the Embassy.
  • Take the originals of all your documents with you to the Embassy even if you have submitted your application electronically.
  • The Finnish Immigration Services makes an order for a biometric residence permit card if a positive decision is made. It takes an average of 2-3 weeks for the card to arrive at the embassy. It is not possible to expedite the delivery.

Why do I need an LUT Certificate of Admission when applying for my residence permit?

Students who have been admitted to a Finnish university and have a valid passport may apply for a residence permit. Consequently, applications for residence permits must include a copy of the Certificate of Admission letter stating that the applicant has been accepted as a full-time student at a recognized institution of higher education. The Certificate of Admission letter contains details of the degree you intend to complete as well as the approximate duration of studies.

Why is a statement of finances required?

In addition to proving that you have been admitted to study at LUT University, you must also demonstrate that your funds will cover your expenses in Finland during your studies.

As a rule, foreign citizens do not qualify for student financial aid from the Social Insurance Institution of Finland in the same way as Finnish citizens. Individual students' average living expenses (housing, food, transportation, personal welfare, hobbies etc.) are estimated at around EUR 700 per month. Students must also cover their travel expenses and health insurance policies.

Before a residence permit can be granted, you must demonstrate that you have a minimu of EUR 6 720 available (a bank deposit, a scholarship, a loan etc.) for transfer to your account for study purposes per an ademic year (in 2019). Please see the website MIGRI - Means of Support for further information.