Industrial Symbiosis Hub
In a circular society, industrial symbiosis can play a key role in closing the loop of a product's life cycle especially in use of raw materials through recycling and reusing processes.
The Industrial Symbiosis Hub, a project funded by EIT RawMaterials, was set up to introduce industrial symbiosis in a wide range of studies at universities.
This hub stimulates industries to provide real-life challenges to students as course assignments, graduation projects, etc. On the other hand, companies obtain solutions to their challenges based on the most recent academic insights.
The hub organises events to introduce industrial symbiosis and gather industry representatives, universities, and students to work on challenges in industrial symbiosis. The challenges include a wide range of disciplines, such as mechanical engineering, energy technology, chemistry, sustainability, business and management.
The following institutions are involved:
- Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology LUT (LUT University, Finland)
- Delft University of Technology (the Netherlands)
- University of Leiden (the Netherlands)
- Ghent University (Belgium)
- Mineral and Energy Economy Research Institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences (MEERI)
The project's industrial partners are CoolRec (Belgium), Circularise (the Netherlands), and Resourceful BVBA (Belgium), which will provide valuable practical input to the project.
The focus of the hub is to bring industry, universities, and students together to work on challenges in industrial symbiosis. To this end, LUT University has set up a programme for 2020 which includes:
- A seminar on waste management in September for industry.
- A student seminar on the theme of entrepreneurial thinking.
- Open feedback sessions on student assignments.
- Discussion sessions where students and companies discuss industrial symbiosis questions.
- Insight sessions at the university.
- Assignment markets for students.
LUT University will organise different programmes on the basis of the Industrial Symbiosis Hub. If you have ideas on student assignments or if you want to be informed about these upcoming sessions, please contact Amir Toghyani (email@example.com). We will keep your informed on these sessions and other activities.
About EIT RawMaterials
The European Innovation and Technology (EIT) Raw Material, initiated and funded by the EIT, a body of the European Union, is the largest consortium in the raw materials sector worldwide. Its vision is to develop raw materials into a major strength for Europe. Its mission is to enable the sustainable competitiveness of the European minerals, metals, and materials sector along the value chain by driving innovation, education, and entrepreneurship.