Research group of Machine Dynamics
Machine Dynamics research group at LUT School of Energy Systems focuses on dynamics of rotating machinery. More particularly, research is focused on rotor dynamics of high-speed electrical drives, dynamics and control of hybrid electric vehicle drivelines and mechanical design of electrical machines. The expertise of the group contributes in manufacturing more reliable, more efficient, less energy consuming and more powerful rotating machinery.
The Machine Dynamics group was established in 2012 and it is directed by professor Jussi Sopanen. Currently, the research team has two post-doc researchers, six post-graduate students and three research assistants. To date, four doctors and 15 Master's have graduated from the group.
Since the research group was established, wide-range of research has been conducted under the funding of Academy of Finland, TEKES (the Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovations) and industry. Majority of the research projects are implemented in co-operation with other research groups.
To support analytical and numerical research, the team has also state-of-the-art laboratory equipment comprising a Scanning Laser Doppler Vibrometer (SLVD) and a single-point laser vibrometer for demanding vibration measurements. In addition, a rotational vibrometer is currently in acquisition process.
The research group has internationalized towards the most respected research groups in the field of dynamics of rotating machinery. Internationalization of the laboratory members:
- University of Illinois at Chicago, The Multibody System Dynamics Laboratory, Ahmed A. Shabana
- Texas A&M University, Turbomachinery laboratory, Prof. Dara W. Childs
- University of Seville, Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Prof. José Luis Escalona
- University of Virginia, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Department, Rotating Machinery and Controls Laboratory (ROMAC), Dr. Roger Fittro & Prof. Eric Maslen (James Madison University)
- Gear and Power Transmission Research Laboratory. Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. Columbus, OH. Ahmet Kahraman
- University of California, Berkeley, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Laboratory of Unmanned Aerial Robotics, Prof Mark Mueller
- Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Department of Applied Mechanics, Prof Gabor Stepan
See the staff members and their expertise in the Laboratory Staff page.
1. High-Speed Technology, Rotor Dynamics and Active Magnetic Bearings (AMB)
- Design of high-speed electrical machines
- Bearing modeling
- Rotor dynamic analysis
2. Dynamics of Hybrid Electric Drivelines
- Development of electric machines
- Coupled simulation (control & mechanics)
- Analytical formulation
3. Experimental Vibration Measurements
- Experimental Modal Analysis
- Operational Modal Analysis
- Scanning Laser Doppler Vibrometer