Sustainability Science and Solutions
Admissions Criteria and Selection
Selection process is conducted in two stages:
- Preliminary selection
Final selection among the interviewed applicants is based on:
- Total points scored for the preliminary selection and the interview
NOTE: Carefully answering all the questions on your Online Application Form is a must as missing information will lead into not scoring points for that question.
Preliminary Selection (max. 15 points)
Previous Studies (max. 10 points)
There is no minimum number of programme-specific studies required, but your previous programme-related studies that support your future studies in this programme together with studies in Mathematics and Physics are however, given points for.
Studies Relevant to the Specialisation Studies in the Programme (max. 6 points)
Your previous relevant studies related to the specialisation studies in the programme are given points as follows:
- 3 points: 24 - 40 ECTS credits
- 4 points: 41 - 69 ECTS credits
- 6 points: 70 ECTS credits or more
Studies in Mathematics and Physics (max. 4 points)
Your previous studies are given points as follows:
- 2 points: 20 - 35 ECTS credits
- 4 points: more than 35 ECTS credits
Regarding to all the previous studies, please note that
- The studies must be completed in a University or University of Applied Sciences.
- Final Theses and internships are not to be included.
- Courses completed in Finland and credited in the former credit system (opintoviikko), must be converted to ECTS credits by using the factor 1.8 for university level studies and 1.5 for UAS level studies.
- Courses completed more than 15 years ago will not be considered unless, they are included in the degree.
You are responsible for converting, calculating and presenting the required and completed studies in ECTS credits on your application form listed by disciplines and courses according to the following:
- 1 ECTS credit = a workload of 26 hours (lectures, assignments etc.)
The Admissions Committee for the programme reserves a right to decide whether the applicant's previous studies meet with the requirements for the programme or not. There will be no preliminary statements given regarding to previous studies before or during the application period.
Academic Success (max. 5 points)
The GPA for the degree providing you the eligibility is given points as follows:
- 5 points: GPA of 4.50 or higher
- 3 points: GPA of 3.50 - 4.49
- 1 point: GPA of 2.50 - 3.49
You must indicate your GPA for the degree giving you the eligibility to apply on your application form with two decimals or, calculate it if not indicated in the Degree Certificate or Transcript of Records.
The GPA used in the LUT selection process is an arithmetic average of all individual study attainments included in the degree and graded with numbers, including the Final Thesis and excluding the grades for any fails. If your previous degree was not evaluated on a 5-point scale, your GPA will be adapted to a 5-point grading scale by the Admission Committee for the programme.
NOTE: You must provide a link on your application form to verify the grading scale. If not able to do that and the grading scale not being explained in either the Degree Certificate or Transcript of Records, an additional, officially certified document issued by the degree-awarding university is required.
Interview (max. 10 points)
In the second stage of the admissions process, a certain number of applicants are invited to an interview in the order indicated by the total score achieved from the preliminary selection.
In the interview, your motivation, applicability and possibilities for successfully completing your studies in the programme in 2 years are being evaluated with presenting you programme-specific questions.
Your language skills in English regarding to fluent communication and professional terminology will be evaluated in the interview as well.
To possibly get admitted, you must score a minimum of 7/10 points in the interview.
If not having been invited to an interview, you cannot get admitted either.