In the programme, you will learn to understand how electrical energy is generated, how it is transmitted and used, how electrical systems are controlled, and how the electricity market works.
You will also learn to develop new electrotechnical equipment and systems.
Your studies emphasise energy efficiency and the production and use of clean energy. This involves deep understanding of emerging technologies such as smart grids, wind and solar energy, electrical machinery, automation and power electronics, among other things. You develop an excellent understanding of the phenomena related to electricity and the operating principles of electrical engineering and electronics.
The emphases of our degree program have been selected on the basis of the skills required in working life. We stand out from the crowd on a broad scale: in our electrical engineering program, collaboration with other engineering degree programs is close.
At the end of the programme, you will be able to:
- use basic skills in mathematics and science and be able to solve problems by applying suitable mathematical methods,
- be aware of essential laws of physics and be able to apply them to various physical processes. You will understand physical phenomena and be able to solve problems related to them. You will be able to describe simple dynamics systems using continuous time differential equations and simulate them. Students will be able to use digital solving environments in the practical applications of the methods.
- understand the meaning of the most essential electrical equations and be able to apply them,
- name and describe the most common electrical and electronics applications and operation principles. You will be able to explain the most essential operation principles of electrical grid.
- understand the principle of feedback control. Students will be able to apply the basic methods of control engineering in devices and machines,
- describe the essential systems of electricity production. You will be able to explain the operation of the most essential electromagnetic and electromechanic components used in energy conversion, based on the basic equations of electricity. Students will be able to describe the operation and control of the typical electrical motors and converters. Students will understand the meaning of electricity in the energy systems of the societies, and be able to propose energy efficient electrical implementations to different energy solutions of the society.
- describe the essential guidelines and regulations of electrical safety, electrical installations and electromagnetic compatibility, and act according to them. Students will be able to operate in case of electrical accident.
- use safely and reliably the most common measurement systems of electrical power engineering, power electronics and electronics, and perform calculations and measurements related to electrical circuits and power electronics. Students will be able to design, implement and document measurements and justify technical theorems by means of measurements.
Bachelor of Science in Technology, double degree
180 ECTS credits
3 + 2 years
(3 years of Bachelor's studies + 2 years of Master's studies)
LUT School of Energy Systems
EUR 9 000/academic year
(non EU/EEA students)
Available from the second year
Next application period
7 – 21 January 2021
Contact information (programme content)
Michael Child, Head of the Programme
tel. +358 50 467 6898