Document Authentication and Translations

Please follow the given instructions for document authentication:

  • Degree Certificate
  • Transcript of Records
    • A scanned copy for the original document (clearly readable) OR,
    • An officially certified copy taken from the original document
      • Official certification can be done either by the awarding institution, by legalisation or by Maistraatti in Finland.
  • Official translations (if applicable)
    • An official translation for the educational document is always required, whenever the original document not issued in English, Finnish or Swedish.

No Hard Copies to be Mailed to LUT University


Official Translations

Whenever the original educational documents are not issued in English/Finnish/Swedish, official translations in English are required in addition to the documents in original language.

An official translation must be one of the following:

 1. Issued by the awarding institution
 2. An officially certified copy of a translation issued by the awarding institution
 3. Translated by an official translator
 4. An officially certified copy of a translation made by an official translator

Each page of an official translation must bear the translator's stamp and/or signature. Official translations must be exact translations of the original documents; translations done by the applicant are not accepted.

Official Certification

When not required to follow the country-specific requirements for document authentication and when not uploading scans for the original educational documents, you have to upload officially certified copies that are taken from the original educational documents.

The certification may be done either by 1. the awarding institution or 2. legalisation.

1. Official Certification by the Awarding Institution

Officially certified copies for the educational documents may be issued by the awarding institution.

When requesting officially certified copies from the awarding institution, make sure that the copies submitted meet the following criteria:

1.    Are taken directly from your original educational documents
2.    Include every page of your educational documents
3.    Bear the original stamp of the awarding institution on each page of the document
       (e.g. a generic stamp stating only "Certified true copy" will not be accepted)
4.    Bear the original signature of the certifying officer

Plain and simple regular copies taken from the certified copies without any official certification will not be accepted.

2. Legalisation

If not able to have your educational documents officially certified by the awarding institution, you may submit legalised copies for your educational documents.

Legalisation takes place by two different means depending on whether the relevant country is a signatory to the Hague Convention of 1961:

A. Apostille

Legalisation by the issuance of an Apostille Certificate (stamp or paper certificate) is required if the document has been issued by the authorities of a country that has ratified the Hague Convention of 1961.

For more information on the Hague Convention, a list of the member states and information about the authorities issuing Apostille Certificates, please see Convention of 5 October 1961 Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents.

B. Legalisation

If the country issuing the document is not a signatory of the Hague Convention, the document has to be first legalised by the Foreign Ministry of the issuing country. In addition, a Finnish Embassy or Finnish Consulate in that country legalises the document, certifying the competence of that Foreign Ministry official to be able to issue such legalisation.


Original Degree Certificate To Be Presented at LUT University

After you have started your studies, you will be asked to present your original Degree Certificate at LUT University where the authenticity for the documents will go under a final check-up.

Any possible forgery and/or counterfeit discovered or not being able to present your original Degree Certificate will automatically lead into immediately losing your study place and when applicable, also LUT University informing the relevant authorities about the fact that the right to reside in Finland is no longer valid.